The NWH Group is a family-run business in Scotland, founded in 1967 operating in the construction industry supply chain and Waste Management to the retail and leisure industry.
Serving the whole of Scotland over four sites, in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee and Midlothian, we provide various solutions including; Trade Waste collection, Skip hire, Materials Recycling, Tipper Hire, Road sweepers, Concrete, aggregate materials, gritting and winter maintenance services.
Due to the continuous growth of the business, we are recruiting for a Part-Time EHS Compliance Officer to help support the compliance with legislation and regulations which impact our business, working approx 2 days per week which may vary.
Reporting directly to the Senior Compliance Manager, the candidate will be responsible for;
- To support the business in delivering the Safety, Health and Environmental objectives in accordance with Company policies, regulations and legislative requirements
- Promote and lead a positive cultural development across all sites for Environmental, Health & Safety and Quality, ensuring service standards are upheld and improved where possible.
- Working with both internal and external business partners (i.e. SEPA, H&S Advisers, ISO Advisers, HSE) to facilitate and implement processes and procedures across the Group.
Main Job Activities
- Assist to develop, implement, monitor and review HS&E policies, procedures, risk assessments and safe working instructions, to ensure compliance with all H&S and SEPA Legislative requirements.
- Oversee the management of our Compliance 365 software system across the Group in conjunction with our H &S advisers
- Collate and analyse incident statistics (accident / near miss / property damage) and recommend intervention strategies; to eliminate / reduce the risk of future occurrences and incidents of ill health and lost work days.
- Present incident statistics at monthly HSE meetings and other committees / forums;
- Carry out investigations and report on all incidents, inclusive of accidents, near misses and dangerous occurrences as necessary, liaising with Compliance Manager
- Co-ordinate emergency preparedness drills across all sites, e.g., site Evacuations.
- Ensure all contractors / sub-contractors have in place appropriate documentation in line with contractor approval procedures.
- Carryout site inspections and audits to ensure compliance with legislation and internal management systems, in particular ISO 9001 and 14001; and provide reports to Directors
- Ensure management completion of HSE induction is completed for contractors & visitors where applicable.
- Updating and reviewing method statements, risk assessments and safe systems of work for all site operations including the installation of new site, equipment and processes
- Undertake and support managers to carryout toolbox talks and safety briefings.
Person Specification - Knowledge and Skills Required
- Essential (min requirements for job)
- Qualified to NEBOSH General Certificate or minimum IOSH qualification required as a starting point
- Knowledge and understanding of SEPA legislation
- Good practical working knowledge of Health, Safety and Environmental Law
- Ability to conduct risk assessments and to generate associated documentation.
- Ability to conduct thorough investigations following incidents.
- Experience and understanding of ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 Quality and Environmental standards
- Proficient in MS Office Applications.
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Background experience in Waste and/or Construction industry Preferred
- Preferable with 2 - 3 years working experience in HS&E.
SALARY: a competitive salary of up to £30k pro rata DOE, and benefits package including Pension and Life Cover
Job Type: Part-time
The NWH Group is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status